Md Mahmudur "Rony" Rahman (Ph.D. Candidate, ME)
Topic: Colloid science, nanoparticle haloing, and microfluidics in microgravity
Expertise: Microfluidic imaging, digital microfluidics, geometrical optics
- Awarded NSF Innovation Corps grant
Mohamed "Mido" Zakarya Alsaid Ali Rashed (Ph.D. Candidate, EE)
Topic: Isomotive dielectrophoresis (isoDEP): fabrication and analysis
Expertise: Microfabrication (clean room experience), microfluidics, electrokinetics
- Awarded NSF Innovation Corps grant
Potential graduate students (masters and Ph.D. level), contact Dr. Williams if you are interested in conducting research in his laboratory. For those of you interested in pursuing a Ph.D., several unversity fellowships are available.
Undergraduate and Masters Students
- Martin Brown, M.Eng., Whiskey web fluid dynamics and counterfeit analysis
- Adam Carrithers, Impact of temperature and humidity on whiskey webs
- Katrina Boone, M.Eng., Impact of bourbon intrinsic properties on whiskey web formation
- Jason Schreiber, Whiskey web analysis towards filtration and counterfeit methods
- Mark Reeves, M.Eng., Rotating electrokinetic platform for simulating microgravity for colloid experiments
- Adam Kozerski, Co-planar electrokinetics of nanoparticle haloing colloids
- John Ellery, Developing and hcaracterizing a rotating platform to simulate microgravity
- Margaret Jett, Microfluidic impedance analysis of stressed phytoplankton
Dr. Williams is always looking for motivated undergraduate researchers! Contact Dr. Williams if you are intersted in conducting research in his laboratory.
- Vanessa Velasco, Ph.D., "A microfabricated platform for impedance analysis and characterization of adherent cells," Fall 2015.
- Awarded Southern Regional Education Board State Doctoral Fellowship (Fall 2010)
- Selected to attend the NanoBiophotonics Summer School, Urbana, Illinois (Summer 2011)
- Six-month internship with Dr. Utkan Demirci at Harvard/MIT (Fall 2013)
- Awarded travel grant to attend 2014 AIChE Annual Meeting
- Received Carl Storm Underrepresented Minority Fellowship for support in the participation of the 2014 Physics & Chemistry of Microfluidics GRC
- Honorable Mention, AES Poster Session, AIChE 2016
- Daniel Allen, M.Eng., worked on isoDEP, air-based dust repulsion electrokinetics, and acoustic microfluidic mixing
- Matthew Okruch, M.Sci. (GE) "Development of an Ergun-type equation to predict pressure drop through radial flow water filters", December 2016
- Lazaro Galban, M.Sci. (GE) "Experimental hydraulic switch for dishwashers with a bottle blaster system," August 2014.
- Mark J. Gruenthal, M.Eng., "Impedance analysis of endothelial cells undergoing orbital shear," Spring 2013.
- Joseph "Nick" Duff, M.Eng., "Fabrication and analysis of an electrokinetic air filter," Summer 2013.
- Nicholas R. Wood, M.Eng., "Dielectrophoretic nanoneedles for trapping and characterization of sub-cellular entities," Spring 2012.
- Andrew H. Work, Jr., M.Eng., "Electrokinetic concentration and patterning of colloids with a scanning laser," Summer 2012.
- Selected for University of Louisville Doctoral Fellowship (Spring 2012)
- Lincoln Curry (NSF REU student from Western Kentucky University), research on isomotice dielectrophoresis, Summer 2018.
- Grason Gasser (NSF REU student from Georgia Tech), research on insulative-based isomotice dielectrophoresis, Summer 2017.
- Kevin "KC" Grome, Co-op student working on automated microfluidic pumping/valving mechanisms, Summer 2017.
- David Bergman, "Self assembly of colloids for enhanced solar cells", 2016-2017.
- Robert Accolla (NSF REU student from Virginia Tech), research on insulative-based isomotive dielectrophoresis, Summer 2016.
- First Place, 2016 ASME IMECE NSF REU Student Poster Competition (Track 19-2)
- 2016 ASME Track 19 NSF Student Poster Competition travel award (Fall 2016)
- Esther Zusstone, "Label-free electrokinetic immunoassay analysis of magnetic particles", Spring 2014
- Andrew Survant, electrokinetic hydrodynamic methods, 2013.
- Samuel Wills, Conducted numerical simulations using COMSOL 4.3 studying electrokinetics and electrohydrodynamics of nanoneedles, Fall 2013.
- Shawn Day, "Development of an optoelectrowetting platform at the University of Louisville," Spring 2011.
High School Students
- Chandni Bhikha, "Microfluidic mixing in microgravity environments," Manual High School, 2013-2014.
- Kainat Ahmed, "Enhancing micro-channel structure of contactless dielectrophoresis device for more efficient separation of particles," Manual High School, 2013.